lauantai 28. maaliskuuta 2015
torstai 12. maaliskuuta 2015
Taiwanese exchange students and their teachers with us
20 students and 3 teachers and 1 principal from Taiwan visited our school (Muurame Senior High School) for 10 days. Group was from Tamsui Vocational High School Taipei. Our students had visited Taiwan October 2014. We had marvellous time together to discuss our education systems and implementations.
First I must say that Taiwanese people are the most grateful on earth. They were always very pleased what they see and learn. I still missing those smile faces and passion to learn. Most Finns are quite far from this inspiring motivation and passion. They were eager to get new experiences and meet new people. They thought that every moment was a new possibility. We need more that entrepreneurial attitude in Finland !
There are several differences in our education systems :
1. School days are much more longer in Taiwan (7.30 to 5. p.m. ) / Finnish high schools ( 8.30 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
2. After school there are clubs or private lessons in Taiwan / no clubs or extra lessons in Finland
3. Students school trip can be 1 to 1,5 hour a day in Taiwan / in Muurame Finland 20 min max.
4. Lot of testing / for example in history every 3rd day tests or even more / Finnish high schools in general tests every 6th week /one national test = matriculation examination after 12 year studies
5. Some teachers and principals lived at school apartment / never in Finland
6. Teaching languages in Taiwan Mandarine, English and local dialect / Finland : Finnish, English, Swedish, French, German, Spanish, Russian
7. Social media use in education (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, clouds) forbidden in Taiwan / Finnish senior high schools can use these tools for teaching/ learning
8. Maths : Taiwanese students were skilled in mental calculation and arithmetic / Finns use more calculators and blackboard
In general relationships between Taiwanese students and teachers were very warm. I did not see any hierarchy or bureaucracy in this matter. Students and teachers were all easy going and willingness to crab new opportunities. I admire that attitude. Maybe Finnish students could have also few extra hours in their school day...
Hopefully we see again next time in Taiwan !
Tamsui Vocational High School proudly presents : Bartender students
maanantai 19. tammikuuta 2015
Tässä alustukseni Keski-Suomen lukiorehtoreiden kohtaamisessa Muuramen lukiossa 15.1.2015. Miten Medici-ilmiö synnytetään ?
tiistai 25. marraskuuta 2014
keskiviikko 5. marraskuuta 2014
Here is my PowerPoint presentation for our Dutch visitors. Dutchmen were primary and secondary teachers, vocational education teachers, UAS teachers and their teacher trainers from Stenden University of Applied Sciences Netherlands www.stenden.com